It’s finally here! Check out the video above if you haven’t already pressed play. Here’s a little background on the making of the music video. Sometime back in November (I think it was) Abrina and I talked about shooting a music video. After trying for some time to get it scheduled in December, we finally managed to get it shot first thing in January. I had some assistance from Paul Salmons, a buddy I met from school a few years ago. He brought along his friend Andy who he’s worked with before and they both were a huge help on set! I’d also like to thank Philip Ireland from eMotionWebVideo.com who provided the lighting equipment.
The next day I was already converting the footage to log and begin editing the project. After I logged each clip and created markers on points of each take that I thought looked the best, I synced up the takes with the music.
Next I made cuts from each take – the yellow labeled clips represent the exterior shots, the green represents the green screen shots, the blue represents shots in front of the white screen and the red represents the takes where Abrina wears the red/black hat.
Now that I had all the best parts from each take cut, I nested together all the exterior, green and white screen takes into their own sequences. Mentally this helped me organize where the different takes were located.
Lastly, I had to decide between each sequence, what parts were going to stay in the video at certain times throughout the song. Once I decided that I cut between the different sequences and had to decide once again what was going to stay in the video, and what was going to be cut out. It was hard to decide at parts because I would have multiple takes I thought worked well and I had to narrow my decision down to one. Sometimes I got away with using multiple takes, where I would cut back and forth quickly between two shots I liked. Other times there was only one take that worked and I knew that was the one I had to use — or if there was a part of the song where Abrina sings the same lyrics I was able to match her lips to a later part of the song, and then was able to use a clip where needed or a clip that I really wanted to use. I showed Abrina the rough cut and she liked how it was coming along!
I made a few adjustments, added some text animation, color corrected the final cut and we were finished! If you want to see some more behind the scenes on the making of the music video for “Step Up”, watch the clip below that was put together.